So, my title is of course lifted directly from Monty Python. In case you’re not up to speed, Life Of Brian is one of the landmarks of British film, and you should check it out. But that isn’t the point. A group of dissidents are sitting around and and one of them says:
They’ve bled us dry, the bastards. They’ve taken everything we had, not just from us, from our fathers and from our fathers’ fathers. And what have they given us in return?
And after a heated discussion:
All right … all right … but apart from better sanitation and medicine and education and irrigation and public health and roads and a freshwater system and public baths and public order … what have the Romans ever done for us?
I only bring it up because it all seems horribly familiar. (Note – these are not my thoughts, but stuff I’ve read across the internet in the last few days.)
He refuses to buy a centre back, he really loves Denilson, he actively hates goalkeepers, he thinks Almunia is better in goal than anyone else in the world, he’s blinkered, he’s lied to us, he’s deceptive, he deliberately sold Hleb and bought Nasri to upset us, we should have kept Anelka at all costs and we haven’t won a trophy for 5 years. He’s lost the plot. He doesn’t have a clue. He’s tight. He refuses to buy the players we need. He’s playing with us. He hates us. He’s past his best. And what has Arsene Wenger ever given us in return?! SACK HIM!!!
Which depending on your particular level of lunacy may seem like fair points or idiocy because:
- He bought in Patrick Vieira. Well, he demanded the club sign him before he signed, but it’s the same thing. If it wasn’t for Wenger, Arsenal would never of had Patrick Vieira.
- In his first full season he won the Cup and League Double. Only our second double in our history. We won the league that year by overturning a 12pt deficit.
- In his second full season we came second, missing out by 1pt.
- ’00 saw us reach the Uefa Cup final, 2001 the FA Cup final. (I was at both, a heartbreaking two years.)
- 01/02 saw us get our second League/Cup double under Wenger, the third in our history.
- 02/03 we won the FA Cup making us one of only 6 teams to win back to back FA cups.
- 03/04 we were the Invincibles. We went an entire