Today's been a good old fashioned FA cup day, with Everton beating Villa and as I type, Nani has just scored a goal for United against Derby - a very good goal indeed. Hmmm. We've got Cardiff tomorrow and I'll be back with a FA cup preview in the morning tomorrow, but today I'd like to review our season so far.
Before I do, I have an announcement to make regarding the commentator of the month for January.
And the winner is:
Congratulations Zohaib, well done. You’ve been a regular commentator on WOA for a while now and you’re comments are keeping us all very entertained.
So… our season so far, well, it’s been a tough one no doubt. We’ve really struggled this season, and as I watch replays of older games, I can really see that even the games we won weren’t exactly the easiest games for us in the world. Last season, many of our draws could have been victories as we had the 17 / 25 shots on target – but this season, it’s the opposite. Our 20 shots a game are now 6 or 7 shots and that’s another fundamental reason why we’re lying in 5th position. Our season so far has definitely not been as successful as all hoped and wanted it to be, so where did it all go wrong?
Well, let’s take a look:
- Adebayor’s form has been woeful
- Bendtner is not a premiership class striker
- Van Persie has had to regain his fitness in the earlier parts of this season
- Gallas had a lot of problems with the captaincy as well as the team
- Diaby’s injury at the beginning of the season
- Toure was in and out of the team, with form and injury problems
- Injury to Cesc Fabregas just as we were finding form
- Injury to Theo Walcott
- Nasri’s injury woes this season
- Rosicky delayed comeback
- Eduardo’s additional delay
- Our inability to strengthen the midfield (we tried with Xabi Alonso)
What could we have done differently? We really should have signed a defensive midfielder at one point… Can we really say that injuries have blighted our season, should our squad be able to cope with injuries? Too many questions, not enough answers.
In FA cup news, before we’ve actually played our 4th round replay, we already know that we’ll see Burnley in the 5th round and if we get passed them, we’ll have either one of Sheffield United or Hull City. Interesting times, not many hard teams there, we could easily get to the quarter final.
If we want to…
I’ll be back tomorrow with a Cardiff preview – in the meantime, where are all the comments????]]>